July 22, 2010

Rye Rolls

I got this recipe from one of my many magazines. Rye bread is one of my favorites, but the caraway seeds were a little strong in this recipe. I'm a really picky eater though, so the fact that my husband and mother in law loved them says I should probably share :)

This was the first time I'd ever used buttermilk or molasses while cooking or baking so I learned a little bit. I bought the buttermilk on the baking aisle in powder form but didn't mix the water and powder together before putting it in the main mixture. Because I did this, it didn't mix well, so definitely prepare the buttermilk beforehand!

1 - 1/4 to 1 - 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup instant mashed potato flakes
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 pkg active dry yeast
2 tsp caraway seeds
1 - 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 Tbsp molasses
1 tsp salt
1 cup rye flour

  • In a bowl, combine 3/4 cup all purpose flour, potato flakes, whole wheat flour, yeast, and caraway seeds. Set aside
  • In saucepan, heat and stir buttermilk, butter, molasses, and salt until warm and butter is almost melted.
  • Add the heated mixture to the flour mixture and mix on medium low for 30 seconds, then high for 3 minutes. Stir in rye flour and 1/4-1/2 cup all purpose flour to make a stiff dough.
  • Transfer to lightly floured surface and gradually knead in some all purpose flour until dough is smooth and elastic (6-8 minutes).
  • Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease surface. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
  • Gently punch down dough and transfer to a lightly floured surface. Divide in half, cover, and let rest for 10 minutes. In the mean time, grease 16 cups of a standard muffin tin. Divide each half of the dough in to 24 pieces.
  • Gently roll each piece in to a ball and place three balls in each muffin cup. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Near end, heat oven to 350.
  • Bake about 20 minutes or until rolls are golden brown. Immediately remove from pan and cool on wire rack for 2 minutes. Brush with extra butter if desired.

1 comments:

Logan Family said...

Mmmm... those look yummy! I might have to try this recipe. Would you say it would be better with less Caraway seeds? Maybe half of what the recipe calls for? I'm not a big "seed eater."

Post a Comment