June 04, 2010

Chicken with Lemon Sauce

I got this recipe from a chicken cookbook I got at Costco. Chicken is one of Michael's favorites so I had to buy it! This wasn't one of our favorite recipes, but I think with a few tweaks it could be really good. I'm going to go ahead and share it anyway (with ideas to make it better) because I'm sure a lot of other people would love it! Plus it's pretty :)

Chicken
4 small chicken breasts or thighs, skinned
1 tsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp dry sherry
1 egg white, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
Salt and ground white pepper
Chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves, spring onions (scallions), and lemon wedges to garnish

Sauce
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp lime cordial
3 Tbsp caster sugar (superfine sugar)
2 tsp cornflour
6 Tbsp cold water
  • Place the chicken in a shallow bowl. Mix the sesame oil with the sherry and add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 pepper. Pour over the chicken. Cover and marinate for 15 minutes.
  • Mix together the egg white and cornflour. Add the mixture to the chicken and turn to coat.
  • Heat the vegetable oil in a non-stick frying pan or wok and fry the chicken for about 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cook through and golden brown on both sides.
  • Meanwhile, make the sauce. Combine all the ingredients in a small pan. Add 1/4 tsp salt. Bring to boil over low heat, stirring constantly until the sauce is smooth and has thickened slightly.
  • Place the chicken on a serving plate. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with the coriander leaves, spring onions, and lemon wedges. Serve!
Notes:
I wasn't very pleased with the sauce, it was too sweet and limey (I'm not a fan of sweet sauces on my meat). I was thinking if the lime cordial was taken out it should take care of both of those problems. Replace it with more lemon juice. I wasn't sure what lime cordial was when I went shopping, so I looked it up. It's sweetened lime juice basically. There was nothing in our store that was actually called "cordial" but on the aisle with mixes for drinks I found a bottle of sweetened lime juice, so I assume this is what I was supposed to use.

0 comments:

Post a Comment