June 04, 2010

Skillet Rosemary Chicken

I got this recipe out of my first Food Network magazine. I'm really please with the layout as well as the recipes in the magazine, I definitely recommend it to everyone! This is by far one of my favorite new recipes. Lemon, rosemary, and baby red potatoes are three of my favorite things to eat, so it made it that much better!! The entire house smelled wonderful the rest of the evening (and a little the next morning)!

3/4 lb red-skinned potatoes, halved (quartered if large)
Kosher salt
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 Tbsp rosemary leaves
1 clove of garlic, smashed
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Juice of 2 lemons (reserve squeezed halves)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 skin-on bone-in chicken breasts, 6-8 oz each (or 24-32 oz of thighs)
10 oz cremini mushrooms, halved
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cover potatoes with cold water in a saucepan, salt the water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
  • Pile rosemary leaves, garlic, 2 tsp salt, and the red pepper flakes on a cutting board. Mince and mash in to a paste using a large knife. Transfer to a bowl, stir in the juice of one lemon and the olive oil. Add chicken and turn to coat.
  • Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, skin side down, cover and cook until the skin browns, about five minutes.
  • Turn chicken, add mushrooms and potatoes, drizzle with the juice of the remaining lemon. Add rosemary sprigs and squeeze lemon halves to the skillet, transfer to the oven and roast uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through and the skin is crisp.
A couple notes:
I misread the recipe and ended up using three lemons (two in the first step involving lemons, one in the next). I love lemon, so it still tasted good to me! The mushrooms do not come in a 10 oz package so I probably ended up using about 13 oz. I also used an excessive amount of baby reds, mainly because I love them and I wanted a lot for myself :) There was about 2.5 lbs of those. I don't like crispy skin on my chicken, so to fix this, I cooked it with the skillet lid still on. It kept everything very moist.



0 comments:

Post a Comment