May 15, 2012

Molten Lava Cakes

Yay, this is my 100th recipe post!

I was perusing my magazines for some dinner recipes and came across this in the Food Network chocolate issue! There are quite a few other recipes in there that look good, so I'm sure you'll be seeing more :)

I made these for myself and my husband and gave two to my mom for Mother's Day. I will note that I did overcook them a little bit, so they weren't as molten as they should have been. I kept looking at them in the oven and the top just didn't look done enough! While they were done on the outside, they were pretty molten in the middle still. Next time I make them I'll cook them less and take another picture.

2 sticks unsalted butter, plus more for the ramekins
4 tsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of cayenne pepper
pinch of nutmeg
12 oz semisweet chocolate
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 & 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
6 large eggs plus 6 egg yolks
1 & 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Butter 8 - 6 oz ramekins and sprinkle each with 1/2 tsp of granulated sugar.
  • Combine butter, cinnamon, cayenne, nutmeg, and chocolate in a saucepan. Melt over low heat, stirring, until smooth. Cool slightly.
  • Meanwhile, whisk the flour, confectioners' sugar, eggs and yolks, vanilla extract, and almond extract in a bowl until creamy. Whisk in the chocolate mixture.
  • Divide among prepared ramekins.
  • Bake until tops are stuff and edges darken, about 12-14 minutes.
  • Remove and let cool 5 minutes.
  • Loosen edges of cakes with small paring knife and transfer to plates while warm. Dust with confectioners' sugar.

 I apologize for the smudges at the top of these two pictures... I didn't realize it until after I had cut the cake open, but one of my little ones had gotten their fingers on the lense and left finger prints all over it ;) Next time I make this I'll get some better pictures!

0 comments:

Post a Comment