May 10, 2012

Sweet-and-Spicy Meatloaves

My husband has been asking for me to make him meatloaf since we've been together and I finally got around to it last night. I'd never made any sort of meatloaf, nor had I eaten any. Something about eating a huge lump of ground beef just never sounded really appealing to me. I was pleasantly surprised! My husband raved on and on about how great it was :)

The only change I'll make next time is making more of the topping to serve on the side.

Meatloaf
2 slices whole-grain sandwich bread, torn in to pieces
1/2 small onion, quartered
1 medium carrot, quartered
1/2 pound lean ground turkey
1/2 pound lean ground beef
1 large egg
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp peach chutney or apricot jam
  • Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  • Pulse the bread in a food processor until finely ground, transfer to a large bowl.
  • Pulse the onion and the carrot in the food processor until finely chopped, transfer to the bowl with bread and add the turkey, beef, egg, curry powder, salt, and pepper.
  • Mix by hand until just combined. Shape into four oblong loaves and place on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet.
  • Mix the ketchup and chutney in small bowl and brush over the meatloaves. Bake until baked through, about 20 minutes.
Side
2 medium red-skinned potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 head broccoli, florets cut into pieces, stem thinly sliced
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/8 tsp curry powder
  • Bring a pot of water to a boil, add the potatoes and cook about four minutes.
  • Add the broccoli and cook another six minutes.
  • Drain and toss with olive oil and curry powder.
  • Serve with meatloaves.

0 comments:

Post a Comment