December 09, 2010

7 Layer Salad

This is a recipe I got from my grandma. It was in a relatively old looking salad cook book, maybe from the 50s or 60s? The original recipe called only for iceberg lettuce, but to spruce it up, I threw in some romaine lettuce and spinach as well. Then I threw an extra layer of the greens mixture on top of the peas. I like lots of lettuce in my salad!

I didn't follow any of the measurements, I just kind of cut things up and covered the layers by eye based on the size of my dish. I put the measurements there just so you can have an idea of how much you'll actually need to purchase.

After posting a picture of this on Facebook, a friend said she'd made this but put crab in the mayonnaise. Sounds good to me! I also thought it would be good to try any variety of mayonnaise based dips for that layer.

1 medium iceberg lettuce (shredded)
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1 can (8 oz) water chestnuts (drained)
1 package (10 oz) frozen peas
2 cups mayonnaise
2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 tsp seasoned salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2-3/4 lb bacon, crisp cooked
3 hard cooked eggs (chopped)
2 medium sized tomatoes, wedged
  • In 3-4 quart glass bowl, make layer of lettuce. Top with layer of onion, celery, water chestnuts, and peas.
  • Spread with mayonnaise.
  • Sprinkle with sugar, cheese, salt, and garlic powder.
  • Cover and refrigerate over night.
  • Before serving, crumble bacon onto salad, sprinkle with chopped eggs, and arrange tomato wedges around salad.


0 comments:

Post a Comment