April 14, 2011

Outback Bread

I got this recipe off of RestaurantRecipesBook.com. Surprisingly, it tastes a lot like the bread at Outback! I didn't notice that the recipe calls for DARK molasses, so I'm assuming that's why my bread didn't turn out as dark as it is in the restaurant. I'm also pretty sure my yeast is dead :( fortunately I used the rest of it on the bread I made today, so I'll be getting some fresh yeast for next time. I'm also thinking next time the dough should be shaped in to 3-4 loaves, it turned out to be really big.

2 packages dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 Tbsp sugar
1 cup warm water
1/2 cup dark molasses
1 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp oil
2 cups rye flour
2 & 1/2 to 3 cups bread flour (all-purpose flour works as well)
Shortening & cornmeal
  • Soften yeast in 1/2 cup warm water, stir in sugar and let stand for six minutes or until it's bubbly.
  • In a large mixing bowl, combine the yeast with remaining warm water, molasses, salt, oil, and rye flour. Mix until it makes a smooth batter.
  • Work in the bread flour until the dough is smooth and no longer sticky. Knead for a few minutes.
  • Place dough in a greased bowl and let rise until doubled. Grease sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal. Punch down dough and shape in to 2 large round loaves, place a few inches apart on the sheet. Sprinkle the top of the bread with cornmeal as well.
  • Let rise until doubled and preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  • Bake loaves for about 30 minutes or until crust makes a hollow sound when tapped.

0 comments:

Post a Comment