February 25, 2010

Fish with Lemon-Shallot Brussels Sprouts

I got this recipe from one of my Bon Apetite magazines. The picture I have at the end doesn't really look anywhere near as good as the one in the magazine, but it sure tasted wonderful. I was actually really surprised at how good it tasted! The original recipe calls for petrale sole, but I don't like white fish, and they happened to have halibut (my husband's favorite) while I was at the store, so those are the two fishes we used. I also forgot to put the parsley on top, and I wasn't brave enough to try the brussels sprouts (which I've never had before) so I'll include those in the recipe, but they're not in the picture.

There's really just one helpful hint for this recipe... and that is to make sure you cook the fish over a low enough heat that it doesn't blacken the outside before cooking the inside, and high enough to actually get the fish cooked. I haven't quite mastered the not blackening part, but oh well, it still tasted good :)

1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp finely grated lemon peel
1 tsp coarse kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground white pepper (plus extra for seasoning)
3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
Fish fillets of your choice
3/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
6 oz brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced length wise
1 cup vegetable broth
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
  • Combine flour, lemon peel, coarse salt, and 1/2 tsp white pepper in shallow bowl. Coat fish in flour mixture and shake of excess.
  • Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a large skillet. Add fish and cook until golden brown and cooked through. A couple minutes each side for thinner fillets (such as sole), or about 5-7 minutes for thicker fillets (such as halibut or salmon). Season to taste with salt, cover, and set aside.
  • Wipe out skillet and add remaining 1 Tbsp oil. Heat over medium high heat then add shallots and saute until almost translucent. Add brussels sprouts and broth. Cook until brussels sprouts are tender and liquid is almost completely absorbed (about 8 minutes). Remove from heat, stir in butter, season to taste with salt and white pepper.
  • Serve fish over brussels sprouts


0 comments:

Post a Comment