February 12, 2010

Teriyaki Chicken Kebabs

This is a recipe I found in one of my magazines. Again, I changed a few things, but this time because I was too lazy to go out in the cold and rain to use the grill, haha. I will include both sets of instructions so you can cook it no matter what kind of cooking devices you may have!

1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp sesamie oil
Boneless skinless chicken
  • In small sauce pan, bring brown sugar and soy sauce to a simmer and cook for two minutes. In large bowl, combine soy sauce mixture, vinegar, ginger, garlic, and oil.
  • Cut chicken in to strips of desired size. If you plan to cook on the grill, reserve 1/3 cup sauce. Add to the mixture and marinate in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
  • Heat grill to medium and thread 1-2 pieces of chicken on each skewer. Oil grill grates and cook kabobs, turning once, until meat is cooked through (about 8-10 minutes). Brush with reserved sauce.
  • If you choose to not cook the chicken on the grill, don't use any skewers. Pour chicken and sauce in to skillet. Turn after about 5 minutes and cover until meat is cooked through (about 10 minutes).
Tips!
  • Make sure you use a low sodium soy sauce. I didn't, and it was a little salty. I assume the soy sauce was the reason.
  • The sesame oil smells BAD, so I suggest taking care of the soy sauce and brown sugar before you pour it out of the bottle!!!
  • As with almost every single chicken recipe I'll put up here, you can use thighs or breast. I suggest thighs (as I always will) because I find them to be juicier, more flavorful, and when you're cooking them whole they cook through much more evenly.
  • Because I was cooking the chicken in the sauce I went ahead and doubled that part of the recipe. It never hurts to have too much, but it doesn't do you any good to have not enough :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment