February 03, 2011

Roast Pork Loin

This recipe came from my Cuisine at Home magazine. I love this magazine because it shows pictures of every recipe (I do eat with my eyes!) as well as hints/clues on how to do some of the trickier steps in preparation. It would be really good for anyone that doesn't really know how to cook and wants to have a little help along the way :) Plus, they've had tons of great recipes in the few issues I've gotten so far!

This recipe is pretty much like a normal roast, except you cook it in the oven. I calls for pork loin. I originally went in to the store looking for something about the size of the piece of meat in the picture and found nothing. Turns out, pork loin is that giant long piece of meat in the same section as the pork tenderloin. I bought the cheapest one I could find ($26) and cut it in to three portions, bagged the other two portions, and threw them in to the freezer for use at a later date.

The original recipe said to cook this for 20 minutes, turn, and cook for 20 more minutes. The meat was only up to about 95 degrees at that point! I ended up cooking it for about 70 minutes, maybe a little more (I quit using the timer after 60). If you don't have time to cook it for that long, you might try putting it in the slow cooker in the morning for on a low setting for 8-10 hours, or maybe even one of the higher settings for 4-6 hours.

1 pork loin roast (2-3 lbs)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp dried thyme
3 cloves garlic, cut in half
salt and black pepper to taste
  • Preheat oven to 500 degrees with rack in center position. Line a shallow roast pan with foil. Let roast stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
  • Combine oil, rosemary,s age, and thyme in a small bowl.
  • Pierce top of pork to make six slits, 2 inches apart on either side. Insert garlic half in to each slit.
  • Score top of pork by cutting a crisscross pattern. Rub herb mixture onto pork.
  • Roast for 30 minutes, flip, then roast another 30 minutes or until center of meat reaches 145 degrees.
  • Remove from oven, tent pork with foil, and let stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment