March 16, 2011

Herb & Mustard Sirloin

I got this recipe out of my Christmas Food Network magazine. It is definitely different way to cook sirloins. We loved it! I looked high and low for the herbes de Provence that this recipe calls for, I finally found it at Yokes. If you don't have a store around you that carries more specialty type items, I did find a few recipes for the mixture online as well. There are plenty out there, just choose the one that sounds best to you (or fits what you have in your cabinet best, hehe).

I wasn't sure if spicy brown mustard was the same as spicy mustard, but that's what I had in my fridge, so that's what I used. I also doubled the mustard/herb mixture because a single serving of it just didn't look like enough to cover all the sirloin. Turns out, at least for our sirloins, doubling was perfect! Also, we're not big fans of regular butter, so instead cooking the steak in butter, we used olive oil and didn't put any on top after it was done.

1 & 1/2 lbs sirloin steak (1/2 inch thick)
2 Tbsp spicy mustard (plus more for serving)
2 tsp crumbled herbes de Provence
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
Salt and pepper to taste
  • Pierce both sides of the steak with a fork. Mix the mustard and herbes de Provence in a bowl and rub over the steak.
  • Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add one Tbsp of butter. As soon as it melts, add the steak and sear on one side until browned (about 7 minutes). Turn and brown the other side (about 4 more minutes).
  • Transfer steak to a cutting board, season with salt and pepper, and top with one Tbsp of butter. Let rest 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak.




0 comments:

Post a Comment