March 12, 2011

Crunchy Pepper and Parm Crusted Halibut

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted, we went on vacation! When we came back, I was in a fishy mood, so there are lots of fish dishes on the menu this week (plus we're going to Anthony's for my birthday, hehe). Hope you enjoy!

This recipe was in my newest Rachel Ray magazine. I decided to not make the sauce/topping that went with it, but I did make the drizzle. I think I either reduced the drizzle too much or got it too hot because it ended up being a lot harder than it should have been. More of a caramel like substance than a syrup like one... oops... Oh well! It tasted good anyway ;)

I had a hard time finding the parmigiano-reggiano cheese, but I wasn't sure what I was looking for at the first store either. It is a hard cheese that's just kind of pressed together, so really crumbly. I ended up finding it (already grated) at Yokes in their specialty cheese section. Also, instead of halibut, we used cod and salmon, both worked and tasted great.

Sauce
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large shallot, chopped
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
A few leaves basil, torn
Salt and pepper

Fish
About 2/3 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
Lots of coarse black pepper
Four 8 oz halibut fillets
Extra virgin olive oil
Store bought balsamic drizzle (or reduce 1/2 cup vinegar with 2 Tbsp brown sugar until syrupy)
  • Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and shallot and stir for a couple of minutes.
  • Add tomatoes and basil, season with salt and pepper and cook to break down tomatoes (10-15 minutes).
  • Mix the cornmeal with the cheese and black pepper. Add fish and turn to coat.
  • Heat a thin layer of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish and cook, turning once, until crisp and brown all over (8-10 minutes).

0 comments:

Post a Comment