November 03, 2012

Cottage Pie

I found this recipe in the my newest Taste of Home magazine... I noticed it because it was with an article about Jane Leeves (Daphne from Fraiser). I've always wondered what shepherd's pie (I'm assuming shepherd's and cottage are the same thing? Correct me if I'm wrong!) was, so I decided to give it a whirl!

The final dish felt like there needed to be a little more flavor in the meat. My husband agreed so I started brainstorming what it was missing. I still had a lot of bacon bits left from the meatloaf earlier this week so on a whim I decided to throw that on top of my second helping. It was perfect! So next time I make this I think I'll sprinkle some bacon bits on top or mix them in with the mashed potatoes before it's cooked.

I kind of had to improvise on this recipe because I don't have a dutch oven. I cooked the meat mixture on the stove top in a large covered skillet. I don't have a deep dish 9 inch pie pan either, so I used a 9x13 glass dish which was just the right size! Also, the original recipe only calls for turkey, but in the description it says you can use beef, turkey, or lamb. We decided to do a mixture.

1 lb ground turkey
1 lb ground beef
2 large carrots, finely chopped
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp fresh sage, minced
1 Tbsp fresh thyme, minced
2 tsp fresh rosemary
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 & 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup frozen peas
2 & 1/2 cups mashed potatoes (milk and butter added), warm
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)

  • In a dutch oven cook the meat, carrots, celery, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Drain.
  • Stir in flour, herbs, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper until blended.
  • Add broth, cook and stir until broth is absorbed.
  • Stir in peas, heat through.
  • Transfer to a greased 9-in deep-dish pie plate.
  • Top with mashed potatoes and cheese (if desired).
  • Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until filling is bubbly.


0 comments:

Post a Comment