November 20, 2012

Dijon-Tarragon Chicken with Rice Pilaf

This dish is one of our new favorite chicken dishes! Dijon and chicken always makes a great combo and this definitely was no exception! 

I had a hard time finding the crème fraîche, in fact I didn't actually find it. I ran in to my mom on the way out of the store and mentioned I hadn't found it, but found a recipe for it so I was going to try to make my own. She called me a few minutes later saying she had found it and bought it for me. She said it was in a refrigeration case of specialty items by the wine and cheese (at Yoke's). Weird, because it's dairy... but oh well!

There were a couple of things that just made this recipe not work for me (or take forever), so I changed them in the directions. The first being that after the whole meal was done, my rice pilaf was really cold (even though I'd kept it covered) because the directions had you cook that first. It was done 30 minutes before the chicken! I decided to reorder the directions a little so hopefully it's not (as) cold by the time the chicken is done. The second being that if I had left the chicken whole (like the original directions said) it would have taken forever to cook in the skillet, so I cut it in to pieces before I cooked it, instead of after. 

3 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup broken spaghetti pieces
1 cup long-grain white rice
Salt & pepper
3 cups chicken stock, divided
1/4 lb haricots verts (thin green beans), stemmed and halved
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 large shallots, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup crème fraîche
3-4 Tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
2 Tbsp dijon mustard
  • In a small saucepan, bring an inch or two of water to a boil. 
  • Add the haricots verts and cook until crisp-tender, about 2-3 minutes. Drain and let cool.
  • In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat.
  • Cut the chicken in to 2-3 inch pieces, season with salt and pepper, and cook until golden (about 12 minutes).
  • Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
  • While chicken is cooking, melt 2 Tbsp butter in medium sauce pan over medium heat.
  • Add pasta and cook until golden, about 2 minutes.
  • Stir in the rice and 2 & 1/4 cup stock. Cover and lower the heat and simmer until tender.
  • Fluff with a fork and keep warm.
  • To the chicken skillet, add 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil and remaining butter. Heat until foaming.
  • Add the shallots and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
  • Stir in the wine, cook for 2 minutes, stir in the remaining 3/4 cup stock, crème fraîche, tarragon, and mustard.
  • Add the chicken and green beans to the sauce in the pan.
  • Serve with the pilaf.


0 comments:

Post a Comment