November 14, 2012

Spaghetti with Bacon and Artichokes

This dish was definitely something new for us. If I had been picking, I would not have picked this... but my husband saw it and wanted to try it so I went for it. Surprisingly, it wasn't that bad. I guess this should be a lesson that I shouldn't eat with my eyes, haha!

I had a hard time finding the pecorino-romano cheese (and couldn't find the caciocavallo at all). I ended up finding it at a local grocery story that sells more specialty items, Yoke's. I'm glad the lady in the cheese section helping me told me that it was really strong. She suggested not going by the measurements in the recipe, rather going by taste. So instead of the 1/2 cup, I sprinkled some on top and then grated some in to a bowl that I sat at the table for people to sprinkle on their servings themselves.

Last, we decided to double the amount of bacon in the dish. We really like meat and dishes without a lot of meat seem weird to us. I think it was a good choice. So with both this and the cheese, just go by what you like and I'm sure it will be fine!

Salt & Pepper
1 lb bucatini pici or spaghetti
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4-1/3 lb chunk guanciale, pancetta, or center-cut bacon, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken stock
2 cups thawed frozen artichoke hearts or 1 can (14 oz) drained and chopped
1/2 cup freshly grated caciocavallo or pecorino-romano, plus more for serving
1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

  • Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add salt.
  • Add the pasta and cook until al denta.
  • Reserve 1 cup of cooking water and drain.
  • Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat.
  • Add the chosen meat and cook until fat is rendered, about 2-3 minutes.
  • Add the onion and garlic, season with pepper, and cook for 5 minutes.
  • Stir in wine, stock, add artichoke hearts, and cook to heat through.
  • Season with salt and lower heat to low.
  • Stir the reserved pasta water in to sauce, add pasta, cheese, parsley, and toss.
  • Serve in shallow bowls and pass more cheese at the table.

0 comments:

Post a Comment