October 05, 2010

Quick Coq Au Vin

This is a recipe I got from my Bon Appetit magazine. I wasn't sure what it was (they don't have pictures with most of their recipes), but the ingredients sounded tasty, so I gave it a try! It was my first time making a sauce with red wine and I was pleasantly surprised with how well it turned out (I don't like wine at all!). The finished sauce did NOT look very good... but don't let that keep you from trying it :)

I used both breast and thigh so everyone got the kind they liked. While I was cooking this, the chicken breast didn't seem to be cooking all the way through and I was running out of time before we needed to be at bowling! To help with the problem, I left them undercooked from the skillet, set the oven to 350 degrees (instead of the 300 in the recipe below) and let them finish cooking in the oven.

4 bacon slices, coarsely chopped
4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
3 Tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley (divided)
8 oz large cremini mushrooms (aka baby bella), halved
8 large shallots, peeled and halved through root end
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1-1/2 cups dry wed wine (such as Syrah)
1-1/2 cups chicken broth (divided)
4 tsp all purpose flour
  • Preheat the oven to 300. Saute bacon in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer to bowl.
  • Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, and 1 Tbsp parsley. Add to drippings in skillet. Saute until cooked through (about 6 minutes per side), transfer to pie dish, place in oven to keep warm.
  • Add mushrooms and shallots to skillet, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Saute until brown (about 4 minutes). Add garlic, toss for 10 seconds. Add wine, 1-1/4 cups broth, bacon, and 1 Tbsp parsley. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, boil 10 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, place flour and 1/4 cup broth in small cup. Stir until smooth. Add flour mixture to sauce and cook until sauce thickens (3-4 minutes). Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
  • Arrange chicken on a platter, stir juice from pie dish into sauce, and spoon over chicken. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp parsley.

0 comments:

Post a Comment